Any suggestions?

"Did you hear that Meg? Guys can marry other guys now. So...this is awkward, but I mean, if they can do that, that is pretty much it for you, isn't it? I mean you as well pack it in. Game over."

Monday, June 12, 2006

I love the summer. Even in baking classrooms, when all the windows are open and it’s still stifling. Even when the incessant buzz of fans, blades creaking with the effort of their perpetual gyrating, is only interrupted by the whinging of sun stroked children. Even when the first twenty minutes of the lesson is taken up by tag team water collection- I adore every minute of it.

Of course, I would rather not be at work at all. I’d rather be in a beer garden somewhere, iced beverage in hand, soaking up the damaging and unremitting rays of the sun, big screen in front of me and football about to begin. I’d rather be at my parents' house, dividing my time between lounging on the decking and nipping into the lounge, cool and sheltered from the heat by the barrier of the thatch, to flick the TV onto the constant coverage of BB that E4 provides.

Even thunderstorms are tremendous. I want to wake up to unexpected coolness in the middle of the night, to find rainwater splashing up from the sills of open windows and thunder rumbling in the distance. I want to experience how fresh and clean everything feels afterwards.

I would be happy back in Worcester, at my favourite bar by the riverside, cool breeze on my face and Southern Comfort and ginger beer in my hand, chatting and laughing and drinking- things essential to the summer months. In fact I want to have a motion passed. If the temperature reaches 26 degrees from June onwards, or if it is a world cup year, regardless of temperature, all school should be suspended and all non essential workplaces closed down. We should all congregate in the great green spaces and pub gardens of this land, sunhats and factor 20 in hand, with sandwiches to share, cool drinks and strawberries and ice cream in abundance. There should be music and football and cheering and gaiety and bliss.

No marking. No whining. No hot cars and motorways and sticky backs in breezeless rooms. No worries until September. We can make it happen. Let’s march to parliament. Let’s all go on strike. We can make it happen!

Who is with me?